If you use Google products like Gmail and Google Calendar, Google will provide helpful information about your travel plans right from the Google search bar. Just type “my trips” into Google to see for yourself.
The personalized results that appear are called Private Results and can only be seen by you. Google looks for travel reservations and other details in your Gmail, Google Calendar, and other Google products. These results can be extremely helpful when you’re on the go and don’t have time to wade through thousands of emails.
Google Private Results work on desktop, tablet, and smartphones as long as you’re signed into Google. But they’re not always perfect. For instance, if a friend forwards their hotel or flight information to your Gmail, it may appear in the “my trips” results. Click the “Hide this” button to remove it.
If you share a computer with someone else or are just creeped out by how much Google knows about you, you can turn off Private Results. Click the gear icon at the top right, go to Search Settings, and select the option next to “Do not use private results.”
Here are a number of phrases you can type into Google to get Private Results about your travel plans.
- My trips. Compiles flights, hotels, and other reservations to create a list of upcoming trips. Google groups overlapping reservations into individual trips with useful names like “Weekend in Chicago” and “Trip to San Jose.”
- My events. Displays a chronological list of events and appointments that are in Google Calendar. Some events like concert tickets delivered to your Gmail account may be automatically added to Google Calendar. Variations such as my plans and my agenda work too.
- What are my plans tomorrow? Displays agenda items from Google Calendar that are scheduled on the next day. This is helpful for travelers who use Google Calendar to plan sightseeing and other activities.
- My flights. Displays detailed flight information for airline reservations that have been sent to your Gmail. Google includes confirmation numbers, gate info, and even seat assignments.
- Is my flight on time? Provides details about the live status of your current flight.
- My reservations. Displays hotel, restaurant, shows, and other reservations that have been sent to your Gmail. You can also click the “Get Directions” link under each reservation to quickly open Google Maps and find your way there.
- My car rentals. Displays detailed information about car rental reservations that have been sent to your Gmail. This is extremely helpful at the car rental counter when you need to recall your reservation number.
- My frequent flyer number. Displays your frequent flyer numbers for frequent flyer programs that have been sent to your Gmail. This is one of the most helpful Google tricks for travelers who need to quickly recall their frequent flyer numbers. It also works for specific programs like my SkyMiles number and my TrueBlue number.
- My past trips. Displays a list of all the previous trips you’ve taken, comprised of hotel and flight reservations sent to your Gmail. This is extremely helpful for recalling exact dates and compiling expense reports. The past functionality can be used for a number of searches, such as my past flights and my past hotel reservations.