The big luggage manufacturers are finally getting smart.
Smart bags contain technology that connects them to a smartphone app, which allows the bags’ owners to locate and track them. Many smart bags include other innovative features such as internal scales, USB ports and removable batteries. They’re one of the biggest trends in luggage, but so far they’ve been the work of enterprising start-ups like Bluesmart and Raden.
In 2015, French luggage manufacturer Delsey revealed that it was working on a smart bag prototype called Pluggage. Delsey ran an online campaign asking travelers to help select the bag’s high-tech features from among a list of options that included interior lighting, fingerprint unlocking and a hidden speaker. But Delsey’s smart bag never appeared on the market.
Today at the Travel Goods Show in Las Vegas, Delsey announced that Pluggage is finally making its U.S. debut. Delsey says Pluggage is the first smart bag designed and developed by an established luggage maker, though Samsonite beat them to the market with its line of GeoTrakR bags.
Delsey even incorporated the results of its online poll in Pluggage’s design. Here’s a list of its smart features:
- Smartphone app. Pluggage will connect to a smartphone app that controls many of its features. The app, which can manage up to five bags, will be available for Apple and Android devices.
- International tracking. The bag will contain GSM technology powered by LugLoc that locates and tracks the bag in real-time.
- Alert mode. Pluggage also uses Bluetooth technology for short-range connections that will alert owners if they’ve left their bag behind or when it appears on the luggage carousel.
- Battery charger. Pluggage owners can recharge their mobile devices via a USB port and dedicated power bank. The power bank is a sleeve designed to be recharged without removing it from the bag.
- Digital scale. An integrated digital scale will weigh the bag and can even verify if its weight complies with specific airline requirements.
- Smart lock. One of Pluggage’s most innovative features is a unique locking mechanism that can be opened with a fingerprint, 3-digit code or the app. The lock is TSA approved.
Pluggage’s features are consistent with other smart bags already on the market, such as the Bluesmart Black Edition. It doesn’t appear that interior lighting and a hidden speaker made the cut.
Delsey has yet to announce when Pluggage will be available to purchase, what sizes and colors it will come in, or how much it will cost.